Program Name: Atmospheric Remote Sensing Science and Technology
Program Code: 070620
Program Length: 3 years
Degree Type: Master of Science
The objective of the master training program is to cultivate senior technology professionals and management personnel with creative spirit and full development of moral, intellectual and physical qualities, and further to satisfy the socialist market economy needs in China. The specific requirements are:
(1) To further study and master the basic principle of Marxism, Maoism and Deng Xiaoping Theory; to gradually establish the proletarian world outlook, to persist in the policy of reform and open and to forge ahead; to actively serve the construction of socialist modernization with love for China, law-abiding, good character, collaboration and dedication spirit.
(2) To study atmospheric remote sensing science and technology, it is needed to master a solid theoretical foundation, systems expertise, necessary experimental skills and good computer skills, and to be familiar with new developments and new trends of science and technology in the research field; it is also needed to master a foreign language, being able to read professional literature and write paper abstracts, and having a certain written and oral communication ability; graduates are expected to have the abilities of participating in a scientific research, teaching in colleges and universities, and bearing operational work in the field of atmospheric remote sensing science and technology; graduates are also expected to have a rigorous and practical scientific style.
(1) Transmission characteristics of microwave, infrared, and visible light in clear days and in cloud/fog/precipitation; interaction between the transmission characteristics and natural surface.
(2) Comprehensive applications of atmospheric remote sensing technology and other observation technologies.
(3) Research on a remote sensing detection technology of a multi parameter Doppler radar.
(4) Radar and satellite remote sensing data retrieval and digital image processing.
(5) Applications of satellite and radar remote sensing data in weather analysis and forecasting research at various spatial and temporal scales.
(6) Applications of satellite and radar remote sensing data in agriculture, forestry, environment, resources and so on.
(7) Applications of laser radar in atmospheric explorations.
(8) Lightning detection and disaster study.
(9) Application of remote sensing data assimilation.
School Period and Credit Requirement
Master school system is for three years. The school period is generally three years, with the longest period of no more than five years. Degree course credit should not be less than 20 and total credit should not be less than 32.
During the first one and half years, it is required to study courses (compulsory courses and elective courses), complete a thesis proposal, participate in teaching practice, specialty practice and social practice; in the later one and half years, it is required to do scientific research, write a master thesis, and defense the thesis. The students excellently achieving the training objectives could be approved to defense half or one year earlier.
Tasks before the end of the third semester:
(1) Read literature, investigate research field, and study feasibility of a research topic.
(2) Complete a thesis proposal in the School of Atmospheric Physics.
(3) Collect data and prepare experiment equipments.
Tasks in the fourth semester:
(1) Do scientific research with the thesis subject.
(2) Participate in necessary academic and extracurricular research.
(3) Make achievement reports at different thesis stages.
Tasks in the fifth semester:
(1) Complete all calculations needed in the thesis.
(2) Draft the thesis and abstract.
Tasks in the sixth semester:
(1) Submit the thesis.
(2) Prepare and finish the thesis defense.
Thesis is an important part in master student cultivations, aiming to train master students systematically and fully in scientific researches and obtain the ability of scientific research and technical work. Master students choose research topics under tutor guidance and the topic choosing should focus on theoretical significance and application value; the topic choosing should consider, on one side, research frontier and practical operability, and on the other side, national and provincial funding projects. These should include new ideas, encouraging students to choose subjects according to mentors’ research projects. Complete a thesis proposal based on literature reading and research investigation. The thesis proposal should include: subject significance, literature review, research plan and objective, main theory (technology) conundrums and possible solutions. The thesis proposal, thesis review, thesis defense and others should be completed according to relevant regulations of Graduate School in Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology.
A master student must participate in practice training for no less than 120 h; the practice activities include teaching practice, productive practice and social survey.
Science Practice: Encourage master students to participate in mentors’ projects and choose topics with important application value; train master students in scientific researches and professional work, and cultivate students to obtain creativity abilities and abilities of finding problems, analyze problems and solve problems by applying what has been learned.
Academic Activities: Master students should attend academic lectures, seminars, summer schools, conferences at home and abroad for more than 20 times, which accounts for 2 credits. Every master student is required to give at least one talk on campus; the postgraduate association of the School of Atmospheric Physics is responsible for organizing the activities and reporting the statistics of the activities to the school office.
Teaching Practice: Through teaching practice of postgraduate classes, master students will have a basic training directly; teaching practice have many forms, e.g., participating in teaching assistance, practical teaching, productive practice of some major courses, and help mentors with post graduation thesis.
The practice ability cultivation of master students can be combined with the work of teaching assistant, research assistant and management assistant. Master students are encouraged to participate in lab management and construction, student management and school management, improving management ability.
Master students are required to write practice reports; mentors and related staff in the school are responsible for inspection and guidance, and check the results of practice; credits are given to the qualified students, but these credits are not counted in the calculation of total credits.
Teaching Plan for Master Students